Sunday, October 4, 2009

CROSS TRAINING

Hey,

With a title like that I bet you think I'm going to talk about Cross racing (which is very cool, by the way) but in fact I am talking about a different kind of cross training: RUNNING. That last couple of weeks I have been running in addition to my commute to work. It's been fun doing something else for a little relief in the off season, such that it is. The reason I say off season such that it is, is due to the fact the off season in Arizona is not what I am used too. I grew up in Albuquerque, NM and lived in Ohio for a number of years. In those places the off season was from October till March give or take. Because it is cold at those times so there isn't much racing. Except cross racing that was mentioned above. Anyhow, I moved to Arizona in 2004 and am still not exactly used to the weather here. I mean it is October 4th and was 86 today, and this past Monday it was 101. To someone living some place cold that must sound glorious, but seriously, there can be too much over 100 after awhile. Actually, 86 is pretty dang nice, so I'm not complaining. My point is that the race season begins in January in Arizona and hangs on pretty much year round in some form or other. So come October, I can feel a little weary of training rides. So I look for some form of cross training. Bringing me back to running.

In a round about way running got me into cycling. I ran cross country back in high school and loved the competition and being on trails. I wasn't terribly fast and was too busy in college to have the time to put in to be on the cross country team at University. The first mountain bike race I entered reminded me of a cross country running race and I was hooked. It was on trails and had the same competitive feeling. I actually find the two types of racing pretty similar and offer much of the same pain and fun.

As such, I ran for an hour and twenty minutes today to see how it felt. Surprisingly good actually, but I was going at a comfortable pace. I think part of why I like running is that since it isn't my competitive sport of choice I can just run without considering how fast I am going. When I ride I realize I am always somewhat considering how I feel in relation to racing and what I can do to optimize my fitness to get ready for races. Obsessive I know, but that seems to be how it is. When I run I worry about none of that. I am just out for a run and enjoying the scenery and the weather. I know it is a good way to get in a decent workout with less time than the equivalent type bike ride.

That and if I get to a cross race and I will be ready for the running parts :)

No comments:

Post a Comment