Thursday, September 17, 2009

BMX Racing

So I tried out BMX track riding last night for the first time in my life. My friend invited me to try out his 24" GT Cruiser and to check out the whole BMX scene.

Man those 24" wheel are squirrely the first time you try them out. I rode the bike around the parking lot then took it up on the hill to the course. I didn't race, but took it on a few practice laps.

When I got on the start ramp for the first time I was pretty nervous and would have sworn it was a straight vertical drop to the first jump/ ramp. Make no mistake, I jumped nothing last night, so I only call it a jump based upon what other people were doing :)

It was pretty fun, but the rhythm section was pretty unrelenting. I started to eventually get the hang of it, but I can see the potential to really hurt yourself. Hopefully not, but if you get carried away, it can be a pretty unrelenting course with the bumps coming at you pretty fast. I have no idea how people wheely thru the jump sections, but I started to feel how to pump through the dips.

Fun. Not sure if I'll get one, but pretty fun. I would like to ride one some more to really decide. Maybe next week......

2 comments:

  1. Yo....BMX is the way to go man! I know the feeling that you speak of. My first time on the starting gate, the drop looked too steep and I wanted to just stay up there. It's like anything else Colby you do on two wheels: hellafun...yeah that about covers it. You should look into the FELT Pro Cruiser or an Intense Podium frame. THe top tube length is higher than the GT PS24. The GT Is a sweet bike, hell you may even get a deal from them since ur in the dirt coalition. See you at Desert Sunset! Manny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Manny,
    Thanks for the post. I'll try to get a bike soon.

    Colby

    ReplyDelete